How Long Do Fillings Last?
A dentist in Cary can make a guesstimate based on some variables, but in general fillings can last up to 10 years, but, typically after five years, they will require routine maintenance. That being said, there are people who have silver fillings that have stayed in their mouths for 40 and 50 years.
What are Some of the Variables that Can Affect a Filling’s Longevity?
* The size of the filling can have a great deal of impact on how long it will last. The bigger the filling, the less tooth there is to support it. What that means is a higher possibility of the filling falling out due to the fact that there is not enough tooth to hold it in.
* Another aspect that you need to consider is the material that your filling is made of. Bonded tooth colored fillings have a far lower success rate than those made of metal. These days, through advanced technology, more modern cosmetic filling materials, if they are properly placed, are now almost, if not as good as metal fillings.
* The level of skill your dentist has.
* How well you cooperate with the dentist during the procedure can be another major variable. If you are moving around, and the dentist cannot achieve an optimum working environment, then you will not achieve the best results possible.
* If you have a tendency to grind your teeth, you probably do not even realize the force that this places on your teeth. While you’re sleeping you can generate a force of 100s of pounds per square inch while grinding your teeth. This can crack and wear your teeth down and severely lowers the lifespan of your dental work.
If you are in need of fillings or any other kind of dental work, and are looking for a dentist in Cary, do not hesitate to contact Cary Dental Associates where they are on the cutting edge of dental technology. Follow us on our twitter page.