What You Should Know About Teeth Whitening Processes
Everyone dreams about having that perfect set of teeth. However, there are certain factors that can easily lead to the loss of the natural white luster of the teeth. When this happens, smiling and even talking in public becomes very difficult. There is also the discomfort that comes from knowing that people view a person with stained teeth as unhygienic. If you want to reverse the process of tooth discoloration, here are a few things that you should know about the teeth whitening process.
The causes of staining
If you want to keep your teeth white after removing the stains, you will need to know what had caused the staining in the first place to avoid it. Here are the common causes of teeth discoloration:
- Tar that comes from cigarette smoke
- The pigment found in dark colored drinks like coke and coffee
- Use of dental health care products that contain too much fluoride
- Plaque that is caused by poor dental hygiene
These are the common reasons behind discolored teeth. After you have whitened your teeth, keeping them clean will mean avoiding them.
The available options
There are several options available for every person that wants to whiten their teeth. The first one is using over the counter bleaching products. These have their pros and cons. For instance, the method is easy to follow and cheap. However, it has many limitations. These include the fact that the teeth will not really get whitened as fast as you would like them to. The repetition of bleaching at home causes a permanent bluish discoloration on the teeth. Also, the products take up to four weeks to achieve any visible change.
The benefits of whitening at a dentist’s
Many people are advised to do whitening with a competent cosmetic dentist. This is because:
- Teeth will be visibly whiter with as little as one visit to the dentist.
- The dentist will use a variety of methods to remove all stains even the deep rooted ones.
- The dentist will not overuse the bleaches, and this will protect you from sensitivity and permanent discoloration.
These are the reasons teeth whitening should be done by a dentist. Joseph A. Schell D.D.S. S.C. is one of the best cosmetic dentists in Milwaukee. For information about his services, go to http://Schelldentistry.org.