What Should People Know About the Hepatitis C Test in Nassau County NY?
Hepatitis C is an infection of the liver. When treated early, it can be cured but many people are not aware they have the infection until damage has been done to their liver. There are many risk factors for the infection so those who are at highest risk should undergo the Hepatitis C Test in Nassau County NY. It is important for people to understand if they are at risk of the infection so they can be tested and treated promptly if found to have the infection.
Those who are at greatest risk for Hepatitis C include:
* Baby boomers born between 1945 and 1965
* Anyone who received a blood transfusion or any blood product before 1992
* Those who have shared drug needles, even if it was only one time
* Exposure to infected blood through needles, razors, and tattoo guns
* Those who have engaged in unprotected sexual acts with an infected person
* Children of infected mothers
* Exposure to combat
* Exposure during incarceration
* Those exposed to unsterilized medical equipment
Unfortunately, many people are not aware they have the infection at first. Those who do experience symptoms will likely have nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, and a fever. If anyone is feeling any symptoms, it is crucial they seek a Hepatitis C Test in Nassau County NY.
To be tested for the infection, a blood sample will need to be taken from the person. If they test positive for Hepatitis C antibodies, this means they have been infected with the virus at some point in their lives. Immediate treatment can cure the infection and remove it from the blood but any damage done to the liver is permanent.
Prompt treatment can take care of the infection and prevent ongoing damage from being done to the liver. In advanced cases, this infection can lead to liver failure and even death, so it is crucial people are proactive and get tested if they think they are at risk.
If you are concerned you may have been infected with Hepatitis C, now is the time to be tested. For further information on testing and treatment, Contact GastroCare LI right away.