A Parenting Agreement Can Simplify Child Custody in Dayton, OH

If someone with kids is divorcing, one of their most important jobs is to come to a co-parenting agreement with their spouse. Regardless of how difficult communication with a soon-to-be ex-spouse may be, parents should put their children first and come to an agreement on Child Custody in Dayton OH, rather than allowing the court to do so. By seeking professional help and keeping an open mind, parents can get through divorce with minimal impact on the children.

Parenting Agreements

Written parenting agreements are documents defining how ex-spouses will share decision making and time where the kids are concerned. Parenting agreements are useful in fostering a successful relationship after divorce because expectations are clear. Creating an agreement allows ex-spouses to discuss issues and how they’ll be handled. These agreements can be converted into court orders that are legally enforceable if one parent doesn’t abide by the terms. Topics to be covered include:

  • Living arrangements and Child Custody in Dayton OH

  • Visitation

  • Finances

  • Medical care

  • Education

  • Holidays

  • Religious upbringing

Creating an Agreement

Ex-spouses can work together to design and write parenting agreements, or they can consult a family lawyer. No matter the approach, it’s best to review and collect documents before starting. Relevant documents include petitions, summonses, complaints, responses, and affidavits. If there’s a court order on divorce, legal separation or paternity, it should be included as well.

Not all parenting plans require all of these documents. However, having the right papers can make the process easier during divorce. In some cases, spouses have a deadline to submit a parenting agreement. The documents should be carefully reviewed, and the spouses should consult an attorney if anything is unclear.

Getting Approval

Once a parenting agreement is created, it’s wise to include it in the divorce file and submit it to the judge for approval. It may be included in a final settlement or it can be filed separately, but the judge must sign it for it to be enforceable. If either parent fails to abide by the terms of the agreement, the other party can take them to court to force compliance.

Be the first to like.

Be Sociable, Share!

    Author: anvdiribrt

    Share This Post On

    Submit a Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    5 × 4 =