When are Teeth Crowns in Homer Glen IL Needed?
Teeth Crowns Homer Glen IL are still quite misunderstood. While they are a fairly common dental procedure, many people do not understand their purpose or their benefit. The dental crown is a cap, shaped like the tooth that is placed over it to cover the tooth and restore its strength, size and improve overall appearance. When placed over a tooth, the dentist will cement it into place and ensure that it completely encases the visible part of a tooth that is seen over the gum line.
What Dental Crowns are Necessary?
There are a number of different reasons that a person may require a dental crown, with some of the most common including:
- To provide protection for a weak tooth from breaking or to ensure a cracked tooth does not break completely apart.
- To help and restore a tooth that is already broken or a tooth that is worn down.
- To cover and support a tooth that has a large filling.
- To hold dental bridges in place.
- To provide a cover for a discolored or misshapen tooth.
- For dental implants.
- For cosmetic modifications.
While dental crowns are most often used for adults, they can also be used for children if:
- A tooth that is damaged by decay needs a bit of addition support.
- The child is at high risk for decay.
- Reduce the need for anesthesia for children who cannot cooperate at the dentist office.
Types of Crowns
There are several materials that can be used for Teeth Crowns Homer Glen IL. Some of the options that dentists have include:
- Stainless steel which is used on permanent teeth temporarily.
- Metals that are highly durable and minimize the impact on the structure of the tooth or other teeth nearby.
- Porcelain fused to metal that matches the adjacent teeth.
- Resin is the least expensive option.
More information about dental crowns and how important they are can be found by contacting the professionals from RK Smiles. Take some time to learn why these crowns can be so beneficial and why a person should opt for them if a dentist makes the recommendation. Being informed will help anyone make the right decision.