5 Tips for Hiring the Right Contractor
Finding a contractor can be tough, if you don’t know where to start. So here are a few tips from Bankrate to help you get going:
- Take your time. If you’re in a pinch and really need a contractor, don’t rush through it. Don’t hire the first one you see. If you can’t trust the person you’re hiring, you might risk having someone on board who can’t deliver within the standards you and your clients need and expect. So do the interview right. Do as many as you can in a day. But don’t rush through the hiring process. The right one can spell the difference between the success and failure of a project. Invest the time to make sure you find the right one.
- Get references—from people you know. Reach out to friends and family. Did they hire a contractor in the past? Do they know someone who did? Ask. Find out what you can, as much as you can. Sometimes, word of mouth recommendations can help cut through the tremendous amount of time and effort involved in the hiring process.
- Ask about contractor specialty. If you need an underground utilities contractor, it doesn’t really help if you hire someone whose only knowledge is in general contractor work, right? So make sure you find out if the contractor has the experience and technical expertise you need. In fact, make that one of the first questions to ask before you get to the rest of the interview.
- Find a match. Ask about the contractor’s other work. What’s his life history, the extent of his experience, what are specialties he might have. Is he insured? Does he hold a license? Ask as much as you can. You need to find out if they’re pros and can handle the work. Some might lie along the way but with enough persistence, you’d be able to tell if someone’s faking it or not.
- Don’t just get references, check them. Don’t forget to check the references you get. No matter how things seem to be in order, you need to confirm your contractor’s qualifications before you hire him. Don’t put it off. Otherwise, you could find yourself short-changed in the end.
These are 5 handy tips to help you land the right contractor for the job. If you’re looking for an underground utilities contractor in Jacksonville, make sure to follow these tips to get your hiring process onto a great start.
Need an underground utilities contractor in Jacksonville? Call us at Vallencourt Inc. today and we’ll get you the help you need!