Types of Cases a Family Lawyer Can Assist You with in South Elgin
Family law practice comprises of the following issues, says the balance: divorce, child custody, spousal support, child support, asset division, debt division, paternity, adoption, child abuse, domestic abuse and protection from abuse, among other issues. If you’re dealing with any of these issues, it would be wise to reach out to a family lawyer in South Elgin for legal help and assistance. A good lawyer can help you through whatever kind of family law case you have in your hands.
There are three different types of cases heard in family courts. These include criminal, civil and family cases.
- Criminal cases involve the violation of public codes of behavior set by laws of the state. Individuals in violation of these codes are prosecuted.
- Civil cases involve conflicts between people or businesses over money issues. Say a landlord suing a tenant for non-payment or a person trying to stop a foreclosure.
- Family cases. Dissolving a marriage often come with a lot of consequences. These include issues that involve domestic affairs and primarily affect spouses, parents and children.
An experienced family lawyer in South Elgin can help you with the following issues:
- Divorce. A family lawyer can provide you with the help you need to put an end to your marriage.
- Paternity and child custody. If you want to pursue a paternity case or seek full child custody, a family lawyer can provide you with the legal expertise and help you need. From gathering proof to declare the other parent unfit to ensuring you send out the proper paperwork, a lawyer can help you win that case.
- Name changes. Lawyers can also help a child or adult who might wish to legally change his/her name.
- Guardianship. Declaring guardianship for an elderly parent? A family lawyer can help.
These are just a few of the issues a family law attorney can help you with. To know more, seek one out for help.