When is it a Good Idea to Hire a Bankruptcy Attorney in Tuscaloosa
The essence of hiring an attorney depends on the complexity of the case as well as the type of the bankruptcy you are filing for, whether it is Chapter 7 or 13. Here are some situations when it is a good idea to hire the services of a Bankruptcy Attorney in Tuscaloosa to represent you in the court of law:
When filing a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case
Chapter 13 bankruptcies are far more complicated compared to Chapter 7 bankruptcies because:
1. You will need to file official bankruptcy forms and design a proposed repayment plan, and this will require expensive software that most lawyers use.
2. If you will have to take certain actions like cramming down a car loan or getting rid of your second mortgage, then you will require filing additional paperwork and motions with the court and here, you will need an attorney.
There are conditions that will just force you to file for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy instead of a Chapter 7, which are:
1. You want to cram down your car loans
2. If you want to do away with your second mortgage
3. If you wish to pay up your mortgage arrears
4. You want to pay back debts that cannot be eliminated through a bankruptcy proceedings
5. If you earn higher to qualify for a Chapter 7
Regardless of your reason for filing a Chapter 13, generally your case may be too difficult to file on your own and so you need help from an experienced attorney.
If your Chapter 7 Case is too complicated
A Chapter 7 will usually be more complex if:
1. You have an income above the median level of your state.
2. You own a business
3. If you have creditors who can make claims against you based on fraud
4. If you have a significant amount of assets
If you case is based on any of the above, then you risk of:
1. Having your case dismissed
2. Facing a lawsuit in your bankruptcy
3. Your assets being taken and sold
Here, it is advisable to hire the services of a lawyer to handle your bankruptcy.
If you are not comfortable handling the case on your own
If you are not conversant with the whole bankruptcy process, you should consider hiring a lawyer who will guide you through the process. To hire a competent Bankruptcy Attorney in Tuscaloosa, browse around here lswattorneys.com